Remember the days when only the spiders knew what it takes to be a master in the “web design”?
Back then Amazon was simply the name of the longest river in the world, an “apple” a day was only the fruit that keeps the doctor away and you could find a cloud just by looking at the blue sky.
Those days are gone forever as they existed before the age of the Internet!
Today we can hardly imagine our life without the World Wide Web! Here are 5 interesting facts about our beloved Internet:
1. If you want to see how far we have reached in the web design development, you can simply visit www.info.cern.ch.
The first website ever launched on August the 6th 1991. It is still alive and you can check it to see this revolutionary for its time tool.
2. The symbol @ has a different meaning around the globe.
The funniest include a: monkey’s tail, hanging monkey, pig’s tail, pig’s ear, elephant’s trunk, rollmop, snail, little duck, worm, little mouse or just “crazy” (like in Bosnia and Herzegovina).
3. Do you know that the search engine BackRub receives 5.6 billion searches per day? No?
Probably because today we call it Google. Actually, BackRub was the initial research project name that was the forerunner of Google Search.
And the name Google is nothing but the friendlier version of the mathematical term Googol, which refers to 10 to the power of 100 or 1 with 100 zeros behind.
4. The general public was not familiar with the so-called “The social media phenomenon” until 2006 when “The Facebook” was launched outside the Ivy League Universities circle.
Once it started as a tool for ranking Harvard students by “hotness” today it is the most powerful social network with 2.41 billion active users worldwide per month!
5. The idea of an “intergalactic computer network, which allows users to interconnect and access data from anywhere ” dates back from the 1960s.
The cloud computing is its equivalent today – the industry experts expect that by 2020 the mindblowing 40 Zettabytes of data will be held in the cloud!